Monday, September 10, 2012

Tourney Report: My Brother's First Time in Sanctioned Play

After spending most of our time playing in the confines of our own home, me and my brothers finally decided to play. Buying those two Gold Boxes almost completed the staples we need for two decks. Well-spent 2.2k.

Preparation:

I decided to bring my Karakuris(refusing to play MKG, geargiarmor is too slow for me and Gadgets is to mainstream #hipster) and my brother decided to use Chaos Dragons(with techs to replace 2 copies of REDMD, Future Fusion and MST since we don't have enough MSTs). We had an agreement that one of us will bring the playset of MST and the other would use the Heavy Storm(we had plenty of Night Shots anyway, so the only problem for the one with Storm are field cards and Skill Drain). I used the MSTs and he used the Storm.

Before the tourney, we looked for another Storm which failed but we found 2 Trap Stuns and agreed that he will test it since he was SO against me using our money to buy something that I need. I've always wanted Trap Stun. He took out his two Night Shots, put in Trap Stun and filled his deck with Breakers and Lylas. The spots I reserved for Trap Stun were replaced by CotH. Then, we looked for cheap Arcana Force cards since he was collecting it and tried to look for character cards(only found Injection Fairy Lily, but we decided not to buy it). Got ourselves Reversal of Fate and The Fool, all that's left are Light Ruler, Dark Ruler, The World, The Temperance and Light Barrier.

Tourney Report(my side):
sad to say, I did so bad. I was always staring at my hand wondering how combinations of Ninishi, Nishipachi and Psychic Commander will enable me to win games. My tuners wanted me to draw them so much that I almost never saw Instant Fusion and Solar Windjammer. I saw them in one game, but Kristya was staring at me from the other side of the field. And I prepared too much for Gadgets since I knew Gideon and Junely would be there, but I never got to duel them. 1-3 record, yo! and that 1 win was a bye. DISGRACE!

Tourney Report(my brother's side): I was watching him most of the time so I have an idea of what happened during his duels

What? You're saying that me and my minions are nothing without FF?
We have new recruits, mofos!
(cr: whoever posted this in DA)


ROUND 1: against me(karakuri)
game 1: He floods then ends with DAD to seal the deal
game 2: I flood and seals the deal with three traps I drew from Bureido(solemn brigade, LOL)
game 3: BLS is broken, yo!

OXO 1-0

ROUND 2: against Blackwing(thanks for the second Magical Merchant)
game 1: First turn flood. Future Fusion not needed yo! and Trap Stun shat on Icarus
game 2: Wasted too much cards to get rid of Spirit Reaper and Armor Master. Then, Light-Impri bitched him out of any comebacks.
game 3: Trap Stun shits on Icarus Attack again. Discard Crow to prepare the grave then out comes Dark Armed Broken Dragon.

OXO 2-0

ROUND 3: against Junely(do I even have to state what he is using?)

I wasn't able to watch this match because I was losing badly to Racil(did I get the spelling right?) on another table. He did tell me that during one game, Junely managed to get a hold of his REDMD but he was able to comeback from that. And he told me that his lack of generic rank 4 cards gave him a hard time.

OO 3-0

ROUND 4 TOP MATCH: vs Gideon(Gadgets)

Never really watched game 1 because I needed to use the CR, but I saw games 2 and 3. DD Crow is a bitch against Chaos Dragons. After the match, Gideon commented that Eclipse Wyvern makes the deck broken, not REDMD. I had to agree with him. Wyvern fetches DAD, nuff said.

OXX 3-1

Got one pack which had shit in it. That's okay, though. We already pulled a Gandiva and La Maison from our entry packs. And during booster draft, we finally got Tiny Penguin, one of the cutest cards ever.


My brother does not want to share the build because he told me spent so much time testing against me to figure out the ratios. All I can say is, he did get a good job of getting a nice ratio of Lights and Darks (almost 50:50) and he put in Magical Merchant and Reasoning to help with the mills and Special Summons. Breakers were used as replacements for the missing MSTs and Trap Stun shuts down a lot of decks and allows him to kill Skill Drain with Lyla and Breaker. Trap Stun was missing puzzle piece during our playtests, and now that he has claimed ownership of it, I have to find another two copies.

If you're curious about my Karakuri build, it's pretty standard. Only missing pieces are another copy of Instant Fusion and better traps. I'm pretty confident with it even though it failed me this time. Although, I dislike Compulsory because it doesn't outright kill problem cards like Kristya, Hyperion, Fortress, BLS and DAD. I can't complain, though, since Compulsory, Solemn Brigade, D. Prison and CotH are the only worthwhile traps we have. I should get my copies of BTH and M.Force this weekend when I go and get those copies of Dragged Down for our eldest brother. Scrap Dragon and Karbonala Warrior can wait

Might come back next week if my parents allow my brother to stay out late again during a Sunday. My brother definitely had a great time(definitely more than me) and wants to try and repeat what he did. I hope I get better draws next time.(seriously, tuner hand is not funny yo!)

This first time laying a sanctioned tourney together gave me and my brother a thrill we never felt before. I hope our eldest can join in before Team Tourney so that we can make our debut as Team MasterBatel.

This is it for this time! Might feature a some deck ideas for my next post. And yeah, you won't see any meta deck lists in this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment