Sunday, February 24, 2013

PH Asian Championship Qualifier 2013: Tourney Report, New Deck and Lessons I Learned


I was supposed to run Diva Chaos deck for this tourney but decided against it because Macro Cosmos, D.Fissure and Verz exist. I opened my entry packs and pulled two Geargiagears and a Drago-Sac. All my memories of playing Geargia flashed before me and I knew what deck I would be playing now.

On to the Tourney Report:

Participants: 1-0-4!!!! record-breaking attendance for a PH tournament!!!
Format: 7 rounds of Swiss then cut to top 16.
Deck Used - Geargia-Karakuri-Machina

About the deck: It was missing a lot of things. The crucial thing was that I didn't have Maestroke with me(Forgot to borrow one before I had my deck checked)





Round 1 - Troll Master Cliff(counter fairy-psiblocker.dek)
When I saw Cliff arrive, I thought to myself, "I would not like to play against this guy". Round 1 pairings were posted and destiny shat on me.

G1- Psi-Blocker stops my Armor from doing anything. Managed to grind him out with Fortress, though.
G2- THUNDERBIRD!!!!!
G3- Didn't realize time was called and he wastes a fiendish on one of my monsters. Did enough damage with Fortress and Gigant X to win.

Lesson: Never Give Up. and Mirror Force is still a card. :)))

Best match of my day. I felt like I was sweating so much throughout the whole game. And Cliff is a really fun guy.

Round 2 - Karlo(Mermail-Atlantean-Genex)

G1- Mermails too broken. Even two Warnings were not enough.
G2- My combo too broken. LOL
G3 - Grabbed Arsenal with Armor. Draw Phase, I drew Arsenal. He flips Mind Crush. GG

Lesson: Don't just Warning every thing you see.

Round 3 - Ped (Samurai)

G1- Had the right cards at the right time
G2- Same as G1

Lesson: Luck plays a big factor in this game. And tight places+big body do not mix. Had to sit there for a while before I could stand up and leave.

Round 4 - Sorry I forgot his name. All I know was it sounded Chinese. Yangzhi? (Chaos Dragons)

G1- He mills bad and I capitalized on that.
G2- He leaves Trooper alone. I swarmed with GGXs, Fortress and Black Corn then proceed to attack as if Gorz never existed.

Lesson: Don't be afraid of Judgment Dragon. Most of the time, he doesn't exist.

Round 5 - Airjan (Infernity)

G1- Archfiend too broken. XD
G2- Geargiagear too broken. XD
G3- Early Decree. Then proceed to make Drago-Sac. Equipped one of the Plane Tokens with Gearframe to seal the deal.

Lesson: Don;t scoop too early against Infernity.

I still had a chance at top 16 at this point with a 4-1. Then the inevitable happened.

Round 6 - Carlo Santos (VERZ!!!)

Forgot most of what happened. All I can remember are:
-Ophion too stronk!
-I Reborned his Heliotrope and forgot that I didn't have Maestroke. I should've XYZed at least a Utopia, but I didn't
-D.D Warrior Ladies got rid of two Ophions. Didn't manage to get my gears going, though, and lost to the third Ophion.

Lesson: Soul Release exists.

Round 7 - Marlon Tamayo(did I get your name right?) (Agents)

G1- First turn Kristya. Managed to draw a CED to save my life later but couldn't handle the Hyperion after
G2- Couldn't handle Hyperion.

Lesson: I need to side against Agents.

It was really fun and I feel Geargiagear can bring Geargia to the top tables if a better player than me piloted them. And I think Louren, one of my favorite players to play against, won the whole thing. Congrats to him! Hope he brings home the championship.

After the tournament, Me and my brothers opened some packs of LTGY and pulled a second Drago-Sac and a Redox. Now I'm one Redox and a few XYZs away from completion of my deck for March Format.

Presenting WTFBBQDRAGOSAC.dek:


I'm gonna Drago-Sac you so hard you won't
feel anything in the morning.

Tether-Wolf
Makes first turn Drago-Sac easier. Also, the ATK increase takes care of problem cards like Rai-oh.

Geargia Engine
If I did not run this, Verz would give me Ophion-sized headaches every day. And Geargiagear is just too tasty.

Solemn Warning
Even at 1, having this in opening hand can really put duels in your favor.

Mirror Force
Punishes opponents for overextending. Can be replaced with any trap you want since trap lineups are personal preference.

REDOX!!!!!
Absolute beast of a card. Makes Rank7 plays seems like child's play. Can even save you sometimes because of his big butt.

NO KARAKURIS
As much as I hate to do this, Geargia can do things that Karakuri cannot(e.g. take care of Ophion without breaking a sweat).

The deck is still in testing phase, but right now, I'm liking the results. Geargiagear can win you games on its own and the Rank7 elements give me enough plays to turn things around(e.g. Big-Eye). Tier 1 material? I don't know since my skills are not Tier 1 material yet LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment